ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dav363
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
OM-D EM-5 Problem - Shutter locks closed
May 21, 2012

The guys over in the Oly forum pointed me over here with this one:

Day one with the EM-5 and hit a problem, has anyone else come across this one? I was playing around with continuous shooting and after several 'bursts' the camera locked up on me. It was as if someone had put a lens cap on, the EVF still worked but the view went black and the shutter wouldn't respond. Tried switching off and on and after a couple of tries it came back to life. Then three more frames and lock up again. This time I switched off and removed to lens to find the leaf shutter completely closed!!! This was what was causing the EVF to black out, it was staying closed even when the camera was switched on.

After a bit more switching off and on (hadn't changed any camera setting throughout this time) things started working again and seemed ok. So just to put things to the test again I fired off a few more bursts of high speed shooting, and after 4 or 5 bursts of maybe 15 frames each time, sure enough it locked up again. I gave it a while to make sure the buffer wasn't still writing but to no avail. Sounds strange but it's like something was overheating and causing the shutter to lock closed until it cooled again! Is this even plausible? After switching off and on a few more times it finally opened again.

I don't think expecting the camera to manage several bursts of continuous shooting is asking too much. True I had been playing around with the thing for about an hour before hand, but I would expect it to handle this kind of use without needing a rest!

Am I going to have too return this as a dud?.....which is a real shame shame as starting to really like this camera.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow