What is your pocketable camera?

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,837
Like?
Re: "Serious Compacts" are (still) worthy little warriors ...
In reply to gollywop, May 21, 2012

gollywop wrote:

007peter wrote:

I don't get it? Why would you need a point/shoot when you already own a m4/3 camera?

I suppose it's what you're looking for.

In the first place, a camera like the s90/95/100 is not a point and shoot. It's something quite significantly more. And it's my feeling the OP was not looking for a P&S.

Much deeper DOF for one (thanks to wide-angle focal-lengths on the order of 4.5mm - 5.5mm) which some people actually like (rather than hate). Cameras like the S90/95/100 and LX3/LX5 have 1/1.7" or 1/1.63" form-factor image-sensors which (when recording in RAW) can provide ISO=100 DR, SNR, and TR about the same or better than the GH2 at ISO=400. The F=2.0 lens (on LX3/LX5) is much "faster" than are most M43 lenses (making up the Signal/Noise Ratio difference).

DMC-LX3 recording in RAW. Fits inside a small soft-case which fits inside a light jacket side-pocket. My tiny ZS7 could fit in a shirt pocket - but it's 12 Mpixel JPGs are not even close to LX3 RW2s.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow