Anybody use their USB port to transfer pictures?

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pcb62
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Anybody use their USB port to transfer pictures?
May 21, 2012

I almost always use my USB port to transfer pictures. My logic to this point is that it's safer than removing the CF cards and risking damage. I've talked to several friends and they always pull the CF card and put it in a reader to transfer their pictures.

A few months back my USB port became totally non-responsive on my 5D Mark II. I sent it to Canon and they replaced a logic board. It now works without issue. I've been second guessing myself and didn't want this to happen again, so I have been exceptionally careful when hooking up and un-hooking my USB cables.

Last week the same thing happened to my 7D. I now need to send it to Canon.

The logical assumption is that I am doing something wrong or that I have bad equipment. That's possible, but....

I swapped out the cable and USB hub after the 5D failed. I'm also using different ports on the computer. When the 5D failed, it was plugged into a USB 3.0 add-on board. When the 7D failed it was plugged into a USB 2.0 card built into the motherboard.

Other than the failed USB on my 7D and 5D, I've never had any issue with any of the ports, cables or hubs on my system. I've never had an issue with my 60D, my wife's PowerShots, card readers, thumb drives or anything else.

In fact I uploaded about a hundred pictures from my 5D tonight, using the same cable that last worked, but no longer works on the 7D. Also, I have tried the 7D on several other computers and none of them recognize it. This is exactly the same as what happened with my 5D.

Is it possible that the USB ports on the 7D and 5D are overly sensitive to ESD (electro static discharge)? Am I incredibly unlucky? What do you think?

What experiences if any have you had transferring pictures via USB from your 5D or 7D? Has anyone else here had their USB port fail?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow