"5D3 can only print natively to 18x12 inch prints"

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cultured Vulture
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,665Gear list
Like?
Re: "5D3 can only print natively to 18x12 inch prints"
In reply to nitts999, May 20, 2012

nitts999 wrote:

I don't entirely disagree with your point, but I can't agree with how you've laid this out as you seem to be speaking out of both sides of your mouth a bit.

First, you make the claim that I can't possibly have taken good shots w/ a camera phone because the lens can't compete with that of a full-frame SLR.

No, I doubt you have. The quality of the lens in the cell phone camera would let you down.

Ok. But then you turn right around and say that what you just said is irrelevant(??)

The quality of a photograph is much more than how sharp it is or any of the other technical measures. It is is more in what it has to say and how it makes the viewer feel.

Then you said:

People like Galen Rowell used very inexpensive gear to make photographs that I've yet to see the equal of around here.

So was his inexpensive gear really that much better than my camera phone?

But that's all besides the point as the bigger question remains one of red herrings. You're still trying to juxtapose a master photographer w/ cheap equipment vs a novice w/ a shiny new DSLR. That wasn't my question at all.

My question assumes the same person in all scenarios. So I fail to see how Galen Rowell would immediately become a poor photographer just because picked up a D800. Assuming he wouldn't, the question is could he produce a better print at 20x30 w/ a D800 than he could w/ a lesser resolution camera?

Galen used less expensive Nikon bodies and primes for the most part while climbing. He wasn't using an Instamatic. And I did answer your question that no I didn't think it would show up in a print unless cropped.
--
Regards,

JR

Cultured Vulture's gear list:Cultured Vulture's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow