Please!! I need help with a lens question. Thanks!

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Please!! I need help with a lens question. Thanks!
In reply to Nerak50, May 20, 2012

I don't believe there is a Nikon 10-100, and if there is, I seriously doubt it would fit your camera. (Sounds like a lens for a small sensor compact or video camera.)

Here are some possibilities for your. ALL of them will give you more sharpness than an 18-200 lens, from any of the manufacturer's.

18-55vr / 55-200vr - standard (and very affordable) 2-lens klt lens choice. Many, many have been sold and can be found on the resale market, but even brand new they don't cost much.

16-85vr (coupled with 70-300vr for a long lens) - Best overall IQ, and an extremely useful focal range. Especially for Europe where there are many narrow street scenes crying out for wide angle. 16mm on the wide end is noticeably wider than 18mm.

18-105vr - This is better than the 18-55, but not as good ad the 16-85. Cheaper than the 16-85 though.

The Nikon 18-200vr is probably a little better than your current lens, if used carefully, but I suspect the IQ is more similar than noticeably different.

In case you are interested in the Nikon 18-200vr, here are a number of travel shots from mine or my wife's over the past few years. I no longer carry mine, because I think it's not sharp enough. My wife never wants to change lenses and she thinks hers is fine.
http://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/18-200/index.html

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow