Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nitts999
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
"5D3 can only print natively to 18x12 inch prints"
May 20, 2012

Posted this in the Canon forum, but I'd like some perspective from this "side" as well...

So we've all heard on this forum many times that the 5D3's resolution is less than the D800, but is capable of prints that are "plenty big", and "unless you're printing a billboard", etc.
But I saw an interesting argument today that I wanted to get your opinion on.

Most professional print labs print at 300DPI. So assuming the goal is to maximize fidelity, we want to align our pixels to printed dots.

We can of course enlarge/resize literally any image to print any huge size, but the moment we start uprezzing a smaller resolution photo to a larger size print, we start to lose fidelity.
The 5D3's resolution is 5760x3840, which at 300DPI translates to 19.2" x 12.8".

The argument is that anything larger than that, you are interpolating and thus beginning to degrade image quality.

For comparison's sake, the D800 would be 24.5"x16.4" and the Phase One IQ180 would be 34.4"x26".
Thus the person's claim that
"5D3 can only print natively to 18x12 inch prints"

By this logic, it suggests that photographers (particularly landscape) whose #1 priority is IQ/print resolution have an argument that not only is more resolution better, but FF lenses+bodies have a ways to go before they max out the print resolution of, for example, a 20x30" print.

Civil discourse only pls.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow