Thrift shop scores

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,151Gear list
Like?
A lot depends on who is setting the prices...
In reply to CharlieDIY, May 20, 2012

..and how knowledgeable they are about market prices.

I find my best bargains in small town thrift shops.
In big cities the good stuff gets priced a lot higher.

A lot also depends on how the camera looks to someone who knows very little about cameras. I've seen Olympus XA cameras selling for almost nothing... because they look like cheap cameras. (Much like that Yashica T4 does). But I've also seen those fake plastic DSLRs, with lots of phoney dials on them, marked with high prices. Simply because they look "professional."

For example... cameras like this fake Canon would be priced high...

Also, most thrift store staff doesn't realize which cameras are worthless because film isn't available for them, or it's nearly impossible to find. And since these were made in huge quantities, they really aren't collectors items either. This category includes all Polaroid cameras, all Kodak Disc cameras, and even 110 and APS cameras.

Of course, the ultimate door stop is the ten pound 1985 camcorder, which is usually missing the battery and charger, and is marked at $25. These look impressive, but are really worthless crap today.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow