Mirrorless Camera design according to Sexton and LL. Agree?

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Photomonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,345Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless Camera design according to Sexton and LL. Agree?
In reply to dr_elis, May 20, 2012

dr_elis wrote:

amalric wrote:

...against the excesses of retro i.e. where form prevails over function.

Good point. These retro designs are a bit tiring. When form follows function one get´s a aesthetically more pleasing and objectively better product.

I respectfully disagree.

Pleasing form is never objective and is not necessarily related to function.

The fact that you no longer care for designs that were at one time greatly admired does not mean that they are objectively inferior.

Moreover, I think many suffer from the belief that because technology has changed so much we must necessarily see radical new forms never dreamed of as we now live in the future.

You will note that the current FASHION is the re-introduction of viewfinders on cameras. Yet everyone ignores how we got to the ridiculous state of having LCD only viewfinders on our P&S cameras in the first place.

This came about directly from the video camera innovation of having a flip out screen to follow the action easily. This was a true innovation in the camcorder field and was adapted to the still camera field as an "improvement". Never mind that one could no longer hold the camera steady, never mind that one could not even see their subjects in bright sun, never mind that one no longer had mechanical controls to override WB and exposure errors viewed on the screen. The fact that phones are the camera of choice for so many marries perfectly with this near useless method of aiming a camera.

While it is arguable that new tech allows us to experiment, we should not be slaves to the new fashion that the product MUST be demonstrably different. I think we actually have to acknowledge that the eye level viewfinder design of sixties era SLRs was not too bad and that we still have yet to make a substantial change to the form factor that actually makes sense.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow