Mirrorless Camera design according to Sexton and LL. Agree?

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
odl
odl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,684
Like?
Re: Mirrorless Camera design according to Sexton and LL. Agree?
In reply to amalric, May 20, 2012

amalric wrote:

here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/camera_design.shtml

I find it interesting because it discusses a few things that came up here when the OM-D was first rumoured, namely if the hump is correct design or the opposite.

But Richard Sexton may have a point, starting from the Leica FF, against the excesses of retro i.e. where form prevails over function.

Violins dont have to look the way they do, we have seen minimal electric guitars that dont look like a guitar, yet they make electric acoustic guitars, a paintbrush need not have the shape of the handle it does... Yet these forms remain. There is an aesthetic appeal to tools, and with that appeal comes taste.

One mans taste and opinion does not have any more weight than anothers.

What do you think? Indeed the OM-D leaves me cold, and I much prefer the NEX 7 solution. I wonder also when Panny might abandon its faux-dSLR paradigm. for something more streamlined. a ' la LC1 ( or was it the L1?)

I think a product that harks back to a "golden age" of photography has its place. We are living in a sterile time of "aerodynamic" cars, moulded plastic products that all look very similar... A wealth of "simplistic" design such as th iPhone, iPad etc. But there are many people who love ornate, love to decorate.

While the Bauhaus was a movement that reflected the industrial in Design, it is no more or no less important than the Deco movement etc. I work in Design, and the common trend currently is to simplify, that is what many designers are taught in school. However the average person doesnt always want it simple, they may want it complex, they may want it colourful etc.

The OMD is aproduct designed to appeal to a market. If it doesnt appeal to you, it was never meant to.

Ab

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

-- hide signature --

alatchinphotography.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For
knowledge is limited to all we now know and
understand, while imagination embraces the entire
world, and all there ever will be to know and
understand.” - Albert Einstein

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow