ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tan Khokhar
Regular MemberPosts: 473
Like?
From FX to DX back to FX
May 20, 2012

Hi All

Just recently sold one of my FX cameras to carry lighter weight DX and lens and got the D5100 + 16-85. In good light, simple straightforward subject, it is great other than than for me it struggles to compare even close to the experience of using the FX. Selling the new kit and have repurchased the D700.

Personal prefrences below:

Great Things about DX
• lightweight
• Angled viewfinder of D5100
• Lighter lenses
• very quiet shutter

Things that made me change again

• There seems to be NO high quality really wide angles lenses out there and the likes of Sigma, Tokina high rated ones all seems to have varied reports.
• The 'high quality' wides are not exactly light! Guess you cannot have both
• The 2.8' of the pro series just spoil you rotten.

• Just cannot get myself to pay the price of a 17-55 DX lens that is not even VR

• Just don;t feel confident with DX especially inside shots... they just do not have the ooomph that FX has - the Fx with right lens just pops at ya.

Glad to have the FX D700 back and look forward to the rumoured D600 which may well be the start of the death of the DX... well maybe not.

http://uk.smugmug.com/Other/Jubilee-Charity-Walk-2012/22979122_W5RvSK# !i=1850799340&k=NXLJDdh

Anyway here is a link to a gallery with FX pics in the main and some DX shots form others -. It was a charity event and I used the 28-70 - 14-24 and 70-200 VRII and a trusted 28-200.

Overall, I think with the D600 that may come in at a 'low' price, I really wonder of there will be a D300s replacement .... or is it needed?

Thank you

Tan

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow