60D SD Memory Card Speed Recommendation

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?
Re: 60D SD Memory Card Speed Recommendation
In reply to xlr8or, May 20, 2012

xlr8or wrote:

I'm about to order a new Canon 60D and have not previously owned a digital SLR. Although I'm not that much into high speed sports photography, I would like to order a decent speed SD memory card for the 60D. I would probably be shooting in either RAW or RAW+JPEG formats. Most of what I'll be shooting will be candid family shots and nature (landscape/wildlife). Any suggestions regarding the speed of card needed for such applications starting out as a new digital SLR owner?

Thanks in advance!

I believe that the Canon spec is for a minimum Class 6 for the 60D. However, this spec will undoubtedly go higher as new cameras are released, so to 'future-proof' your card purchase, get at least Class 10 cards for your new camera. The 60D does not have the capability to take advantage of UHS-1 speeds and they are pretty pricey, so I wouldn't upgrade that far.
--
Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow