Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
wilkman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,872
Like?
Re: D800 + ISO6400 = Doddle = Amazing!
In reply to Lance B, May 20, 2012

Lance B wrote:

wilkman wrote:

Truly excellent Lance, thank you for the number and quality of you picts/post. I think you've convinced a lot of us towards the d800!

Thank you for your kind comments, wilkman!

And thank you Lance, for your very generous helpful reply!

If you are using View NX2, then I think there is very little you can adjust in order to get the best results. However, if you are using Capture NX2, then there is much you can do and I have seen exceptional results from using that software. It's just that I am not so good with Capture NX2 as it is a little more time consuming to use to get best results, IMO . I just find the workflow of Capture One Pro (6) to be so easy, quick and the results exceptional.

If you are using Capture NX2, I would still recommend using Noiseware Professional in Photoshop as a noise reduction adjunct. If you are not using Capture NX2, just View NX2, then you can probably still get excellent results by saving to 16bit TIFF and then running it through Photoshop with Noiseware Pro.

Sorry, I should have specified I use Capture. Been playing with the sliders since the d2x days, and feel I've learned to milk about all it can do (hence my question to you

I've downloaded Noiseware Pro into CS5 and will play with it. I also need to play with saving to TIFF as you sugest, having never really worked with anything other than NEFs.

My workflow is RAW and processed in Capture One Pro 6. In Capture One, it applies some noise reduction itself automatically depending on the ISO used, which works very well as a preliminary "clean up" of noise. I adjust the other normal parameters in Capture One Pro, like WB, saturation etc and then save to 16bit TIFF.

I then open the 16bit TIFF in Photoshop CS6 and use Noiseware Plug In for Photoshop. I generally use the default setting for most High ISO images from ISO3200 and up, which is 70% Luminance and 80% Colour reduction. For ISO's less than ISO3200, I generally reduce these to lower values depending on the noise rpesent. If there are certain colours causing issue, I will adjust those individually in The "Colour Range" palette.

I just play around with the various sliders to see what works best.

I also use a Power Retouche Plug In in Photoshop for doing my sharpening. I find this the best and easiest sharpening tool, however, if you use Windows 7 it can only be used in the 32 bit version of Photoshop - I have both 32 and 64bit versions of Photoshop and only use the 32 bit version even though I am using 64 bit Windows 7. Power Retouchs has quite a few Plug Ins in the package that you buy.

Aah, more to explore...I have both bit versions of PS too ... you're making me come out of my Capture cave LOL

I kinda lost interest in photography for about 3 years ......the d800 has refueled it.
Wow, been a lot of processing developments since I set back !

Any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask and I will try to give you a good answer.

Thanks again Lance, on behalf of many, we appreciate your work and generousity!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow