Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
twoeggmedia
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
Re: switching systems - my findings / opinions
In reply to MPrince, May 20, 2012

MPrince wrote:

twoeggmedia wrote:

A high quality 17-50 f2.8 zoom and 50mm f1.4 prime currently take care of all my needs, thus I have little invested in lenses and relatively simple lens needs for my new system.

Pentax- K-5 is my favorite DSLR APS-C body. IBIS, weather sealed, great high ISO. However, lens selection is limited and expensive, with no significant performance gains and no lengths I need most.

Pentax has an FA 50 1.4, an FA 43 1.9 Limited, and a DA* 16-50 2.8. Tamron has a 17-50 2.8 in Pentax mount. To name just a few of the available options.

All are well-regarded lenses, and all fit within your stated simple lens needs, so I don't see how you can say that Pentax has a limited lens selection and no lengths you need most.

Don't know where you live, but at B&H Photo the 50 is $360, the Tamron is $499, the 43 is $570. Not unreasonable prices for these lenses. Only the DA* 16-50 is ridiculously priced at the moment. Of course, there is a used market for all these lenses (and many many more as well, including lots of fast 50s).

As far as i can see, Pentax fits your stated needs as well as any other brand.

True, but there were better performing and/or better priced selections from other systems. The Limited 70mm 1.8 would have been my first purchase if I went with Pentax. But, it's 3x the price of the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 that performs equally well.

twoeggmedia's gear list:twoeggmedia's gear list
Sigma DP1s Pentax K-5 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow