Nikon D5100 - in camera JPEG vs. Capture NX jpeg, shadows losing detail!

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ngc4565adam
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Nikon D5100 - in camera JPEG vs. Capture NX jpeg, shadows losing detail!
May 20, 2012

In this comparison, you can see a cactus image:
the left is an in camrea JPEG
the right is a NEF opened in Capture NX

Note that:

no modifications was made after opening these pictures (picture control, exposure, white balance is identical - ADL was set to off, when I took the picture)

even though, in the bottom center of the sample picture, the in camera JPEG contains details of the dark-soil area that the unmodified NEF opened in NX absolutely lacks

the remaining dark details are more saturated compared to the in camera JPEG version

Thus I think, the capture NX performs a black clipping, that I don't want to accept, because the main concept of the capture NX is to ensure the possibility of making in camera JPEG identical JPEG image out of a NEF image.

What do I wrong? Is there a possibility to regain these details in Capture NX?

In Adobe Lightroom, there is plenty much more detail in the shadows (after I move the "Blacks" slider from 5 to 0), but I can't use the Nikon's Picture Control settings directly. As I could see, capture NX handles the NEF images like using a hidden "Blacks" slider fixed at value of 5.

ngc4565adam's gear list:ngc4565adam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow