Switching from 1Ds Mark III to 5d Mark iii thoughts?

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Salvage
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
Switching from 1Ds Mark III to 5d Mark iii thoughts?
May 20, 2012

After a long deliberation I am pulling the trigger on selling my 1Ds Mark iii and getting a 5D Mark iii. Here are my thoughts, I am interested in what people think about my rationale.

I preordered a 1Dx when it was first announced. I waiting and waited like everyone and my frustration grew, but my 1Ds Mark III still worked as great as when I got it so I wasn't in a rush. The 5D Mark iii came out and I was intrigued. Since getting the 1ds Mark III I developed shoulder issues and the lighter weight is appealling. I also don't do as much extreme weather shooting as I used to. While I photograph sports, it long distance track and field, mostly race walking. So while I would enjoy the 12 fps I don't need it. I know where and when athletes will be and have a 60 fps casio for educational purposes when I want refined sequenctial shots.

When I see samples from the 5d Mark iii they are great and the low iso quality is something I would use a lot. Having a CF card and SD vs two CF's are a wash. The two CF's would be faster but having an SD card is more convenient for quick shoots.

So the issue is what does the 1Dx get you? More fps sure, but usually I won't use it. Better ISO performance? From what I have seen beyond pixel peeping, I don't think there will be a huge real world diff with the 5D Mark iii and the improvement from the 1ds Mark III to the 5D Mark iii will be so great I don't think I will miss it. The autofocus? I know the specs say that the 1Dx will use the metering system, however Canon says they should be almost the same. I've always found the 1Ds Mark III to be great. So if the 5D exceeds that, then that should be a wash. The weather sealing? Nice, but not that necessary for me. The improved shutter? It's not that expensive to replace a shutter. I had a 1d Mark II and had to replace mine. Better durability in general? I can buy to 5D Mark III's for the price of 1Dx. Since I always carry a backup camera anyway, seems like that's a wash as well. Obviously the 5D has more megapixels. Probably not a big world world difference. My question has always been does the 1DX have less so it can pump 12 fps, if so , then I would rather have less fps and more megapixels. Finally, the buffer will be bigger in the 1dX, but I am used to the 1ds Mark III so I don't think that will kill me.

If I am switching cameras, I need to do it either a few weeks before the Olympic Trials or wait until the end of the summer because I need time to get used to the new camera.

Thoughts are welcome.
Jeff Salvage
http://www.onedressonewoman.com
http://www.greattreks.com
http://www.racewalk.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow