Thailand by Alex the Siberian

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Richard Wonka
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Thailand by Alex the Siberian
In reply to ryan2007, May 20, 2012

Hey Ryan and Alex,

Sorry, I'll be off topic for a bit, but then I want to give Alex some feedback, too.

ryan2007 wrote:

... I am not negative. ....

I dare you to read that sentence out loud and not smile at the contradiction.

... It has to do with knowing what different cultures do and what traditions they have. ... given a free ticket expenses paid I would not go ...

Which is a perfect choice. You don't like it, you don't go. What seems unnecessary in your original post is - essentially - the post itself.

When going to a place that is not your home, I can see two good choices on how to deal with that:

1) Go there and accept what you find, knowing that you went unprepared into unfamiliar territory.

2) Learn about the place beforehand and then - you may have guessed it - still accept what you find.

If you don't like it, you can always leave.

Both of these choices will allow you to have fun and, more importantly, learn about the world, that things work differently in different places and that your established set of values and the way you live your life is not the only valid one.

You can, of course, also choose to do other things, like complaining even at the sight of something that does not match your ideas of good and bad, but that is unlikely to make your life any better..

And I would like to thank you, as your post made me think about this topic and realise something that will make my life just a little bit more enjoyable.

Now back on topic:

Alex, I like the images you have taken. I live here on Koh Phuket and find you chose your subjects rather well to capture what life in Thailand is like.

I don't share your fondness of highly saturated colours, but that is a matter of taste. You like pop-art, you take pop-artsy pictures. I guess it's also a matter of cultural expression.

I do find that many of your pictures seem to be out of focus or the lens is playing against you. I am by far not an expert, but you might want to check your lens, and/or try another one for some test-shots to see if you can not get some clearer, crisper images out of your camera. Unless, of course, the effect is intentional - then I guess I just don't like it.

Again, very good choice of subject and perspective in many of these images. Thank you for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Richard

Richard Wonka's gear list:Richard Wonka's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow