Which camera - Buying advice

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Personally I would....
In reply to JoJa15, May 20, 2012

...buy an Olympus omd em5.

Small, many lenses to choose from and produces Very! Good pictures.

I sold my 5d2 after I got the Olympus since I find it etter than the Canon in most areas except for strict studio portrait shooting.

The interesting part is that I actually take better pictures with the Olympus than with the Canon, even though I paired the Canon with their L-prime lenses and zooms.

The Canon is an excellent tool, but the Oly produce similar results in a smaller package and at a cheaper price, if money is an issue.

BR

Marcus

JoJa15 wrote:

I have owned a Canon Powershot S90 and Canon Powershot S5IS for a couple years and just started getting more serious and am looking to move up. I have used CHDK with both and have loved using the motion detection script to capture Lightning shots.

Due to my experience with CHDK I am a little partial to Canon but am open to either Nikon or Canon. I have a budget of about $4k-$5k but I don't have to spend it all. I primarily take outdoor pictures (landscapes, flowers, nature, sunsets, etc) but would like to expand into portraits and architecture. You can get an idea of some of the photos I take from my Flikr account:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joja15/

I just started getting more serious about a month ago which reflects my more recent photos. I have a rudimentary understanding of ISO, Aperature, Shutter Speed, and exposure.

If I get a Canon I am thinking of getting a Canon Body (60D, 7D, 5D MKII), and then a couple EF Lenses. If I got a 60D or 7D I figured the EF lenses would be better so that if I upgraded to a full frame sensor my lenses would work with the new body. If I got EF-S lenses they would only work with the APS-C sensor bodies. Is that a good strategy?

So what camera body (Nikon or Canon) should I get and what lenses for that body would you recommend me starting with?

Outside of the body and lens the only other things I assume I would need is a camera bag, lens hoods, and lens cleaning kit right? I already have a decent tri-pod and plenty of SD cards (I know I will need CF cards for 5D MK II).

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow