Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 X lens or kit lens ??

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
FlyCBA
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: Panasonic 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 X lens or kit lens ??
In reply to chalky46, May 20, 2012

Did some more shooting yesterday and today with the 14-42X and my 20mm 1.7 to compare. No matter how I hand hold it, the 14-42X shows shutter vibration up to 1/250. Not the large double blur like on my HH1 version, but this HN2 version still shows it when you look for it. You might not see it unless you look for it. It's there with OIS on and off. Repeated tests show that it really isn't completely gone until 1/400 and above.

In the same situation I can get perfectly tack sharp photos from the 20mm lens at 1/60 if careful to 1/125 if not. I have noticed that the shutter on the GX1 has quite a sharp thunk to it. My old film Nikon N90 actually smooths out at 1/60 and above, but the GX1 is not as well damped. I know there are 4 actions it has to go through in a very short amount of time, but this needs some attention.

The 20mm lens has beautiful "bokeh" when shot wide or mostly wide open. So I plan on using it at around f2.0 to 2.8 for a lot of my shooting.

The 14-42X focuses fast and quite well--it is quieter and quicker than the 20mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow