60mm or 85mm?

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,519
Like?
Re: 60mm or 85mm?
In reply to mhike, May 19, 2012

mhike wrote:

bokeh in the wrong hands is a very, very bad thing. Due to that, I'd recommend a lens for the op with as little bokeh potential as possible.

Often, beginners get intoxicated with bokeh and overuse it and even compose based on it. it's generally amusing, but also sad at the same time.

Yes, I noticed that but it is off-topic to bring it up here rather than in the Pentax forum where you posted the pic. Running the numbers though a depth of field calculator, a subject distance of, say, 5 or 6 metres at f2 and 35mm focal length on aps-c gives a dof of nearly 2 metres, too much for subject isolation.

The main issue though was the point of focus. As usual, Eric got it right but didn't say so very forcefully as he is too polite. I'm not :)!!! Unless you or the intended audience have a foot fetish, it is normal to focus on the subjects' faces rather than their shoes. It helps to set and use a single, selectable focus point. If left on the default setting of auto af point selection, the camera will more often than not choose the wrong one based on the area of greatest contrast, in your case the stripes on the shoes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow