Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
Re: My new computer for D800 on order
In reply to Mark K, May 19, 2012

Mark K wrote:

Denis

Will you consider further upgrading your system to 32Gb RAM and plugging in more harddisks?

Mark,

I'm migrating from a low end Core i7 notebook with two internal 500GB 7200rpm drives, 8GB RAM and an eSATA 2TB data drive. So the third generation Core i7 processor, better video card and 16GB RAM is already a nice step up. And I've been using the notebook's 17" screen and an old Eizo 19" that I calibrate. I think the new 24" monitor will be a real improvement and I can always add a second monitor if I feel the need.

Later, I anticipate going to an SSD boot drive, an SSD working data drive, and keeping my 2TB hard drive for data not in immediate use. The 2TB disc is more than half full, but better attention to purging useless files can help there.

BTW, I replicate all data to a NAS with a pair of 2TB drives in RAID 0. I know that RAID is the most vulnerable, but I only turn on the NAS to do weekly backups.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow