New K5 user (from D7K). Low light focus issues.

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sanjeev Das
Contributing MemberPosts: 774Gear list
Like?
New K5 user (from D7K). Low light focus issues.
May 19, 2012

Hello all,

I am a new K5 user. I have had Nikons for as long as I can remember (D80, D90 and D7000). However, my D7K with it set of heavy lenses (including the 17-55 f/2.8) now seems a bit too heavy for what I want to carry around. I have long ached for a small lightweight kit. The Pentax system with its small primes seemed perfect. Nikon does not have anything that compares to the small pentax primes. So, recently, I bought a K5 and a couple of DA primes. I absolutely love the setup. The pictures are awesome and I feel like I am enjoying shooting again. I have had the camera for only a few days but I like what I am getting from the camera:

There is only one problem. In low light, AF seems to be a total hit or miss. I have thousands on pictures with my Nikon taken indoors in absolute darkness and AF has always been bang on. With the K5, indoor or outdoor pictures seem to front focus.

Here are some examples followed by center crops. I mostly use center AF point and recompose. Sometimes I will change the focus point to where I want the focus to be. In most of these I pointed at the face and recomposed.

Clearly FFed. The hand is in focus.

The glasses in front are in focus.

So what is going on here? I would love to the told that this is all operator error because I really want to keep the K5. But I have never had so many focus misses in my life.

Sanjeev Das's gear list:Sanjeev Das's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlexNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow