ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MT
MT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,838
Like?
Help: OMD exposure compensation via Histogram
May 19, 2012

I've shot a fair bit the past two weeks including two shoots - once on a volunteer trip building homes and volunteering at orphanages. Another at a graduation. All required no flash and really fast decisions both outdoor and indoor. I consider it having fared very well, certainly much better in speed and control than my NEX 5n. The OMD is a joy to handle. Other than the wish for a couple more buttons to customize and an improvement in the bracketing, it is just about as perfect as can be for my needs. In all, just a FANTASTIC system and for the price, an excellent value.

Observation leading up to my question:

When exposing, I use the histogram. I often use +0.3 to +0.7 to compensate as the Oly seem to under expose. However, on opening the files (jpegs), I see that often, is a bit over exposed and I should have trusted the camera metering more often. One surprise is that when I do recovery on the darker areas, there a remarkable amount of detail and the noise is surprising low.

Question: When you expose. do you just trust that the files will have plenty of detail in the darker areas and recover as necessary, thus not adding much additional exposure compensation? I've always tried to expose towards the right of the histogram.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MTMT

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow