Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
assaft
Contributing MemberPosts: 790Gear list
Like?
Re: DMC-G1 + LGV 100-300mm Analysis, Diagnosis, and Recommendation
In reply to Anders W, May 19, 2012

Anders W wrote:

assaft wrote:

I just looked in the E-P1 manual and it's there in page 83. I know that the E-PL1 also had it, so probably all PENs had it.

I think we might be talking past each other here. All the PENs allow you to see the clipping warning ("blinkies" or the like) after the shot. But so do the Panys as well as many/most non-MFT cameras. What was introduced with the E-P3, however, was the ability to see these warnings even before the shot. I checked Potka's blog post again and here is what he says (just before the end) about the E-P3 in comparison with the E-P2:

The Olympus E-P3 finally fixed these deficiencies, because it has an adjustable highlight and shadow warning by colors in viewfinder image, that is, before the exposure.

The E-M5 (and presumably the E-PL3 and the E-PM1 too) has the same feature. And being able to see in the VF whether and where you have clipping without having to make a test shot will, I am sure, save me quite a bit of time and perhaps get me some shots I would otherwise have missed because it took me too long to get the exposure right. Can't understand why Pany hasn't done the same thing. After all, this is an obvious feature to add as soon as you have an EVF rather than an OVF (or more generally a camera capable of operating in live view).

Ok, I see what you mean. So I don't know about the E-P1, but I can tell you for sure that the E-PL2 has a real-time 'blinkies' mode that shows the clipping indicators on the LCD before the shot is taken. Just like the mode of the real-time histogram. I don't have an EVF to check but I assume it would show the blinkies on the EVF as well.

assaft's gear list:assaft's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow