Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Moonlight Knight
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
NEX-3 18-55mm vs OM-D E-M5 12-50mm IQ Comparison
May 19, 2012

I upgraded from Sony NEX-3 to OM-D E-M5. In order to prove to myself that I did not pay extra money and sold the NEX-3 cheaply for nothing, I did this IQ comparison using their respective kit zoom lens (12-50mm for the E-M5) at same FOV wide open, IS disabled. Both are processed with LR4.1RC2 with luminance and color NR=0, sharpening=30 radius=0.8. Sony photos had -0.36 exposure in LR.

Disclaimer: I do not want to take photographs of other people's underwear, but the view outside my window is just too convenient...

100% crops from NEX-3 (top) and E-M5 (bottom) at tele end: (Look at "Hitachi" on the window air conditioner, and the white wall on the left)

100% crops from NEX-3 (top) and E-M5 (bottom) at wide end:

Despite many people saying the Sony E-mount 18-55mm OSS is good, I suspect my copy is not (or we have different interpretations of "good"). For a long time I thought the blurry photos I got from NEX-3 were caused by my handshaking, I finally realized the lens is just not sharp enough wide open even without looking at 100% crop. Although many people criticize the Olympus 12-50mm, I think it is quite good for me.

In these crops we can also see more chroma noise from the OM-D E-M5, even at ISO 200. So it confirms the superiority of the low noise characteristic of Sony APS-C sensor. (I hope people don't attack me for saying this in this forum.)

(If anyone wants to see a pencake lens comparison between Sony E-mount 16mm f/2.8 and Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, I'd like to say that the Sony pencake lens does not give a sharper image than the zoom lens presented above, and previously I have done another comparison between the 12-50mm and the 14mm. So indirectly it can also be shown that Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 is better than the Sony 16mm f/2.8:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=41484623 )

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GF-5New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow