Lightroom was 'broken'. Now it isn't..

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 16,945Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom was 'broken'. Now it isn't..
In reply to Steen Bay, May 19, 2012

Steen Bay wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

Last year, I did my own personal 14 camera mega shootout! I took a range of bodies and shot a range of real life outdoor scenes to see how far I could pull and push the resultant files. One of the tests would be to overexpose say a landscape scene with lots of puffy clouds, and pull the exposure down by three stops to see how the cloud detail was retained.

Some cameras were noticeably worse than others, with harshly clipped highlights, severely hard transition areas, posterisation and sometimes colour casts. While other cameras gave very good results that were quite usable with none of the aforementioned problems.
'Good' cameras were things like D3s, D700, D300s, D5100.
'Bad' cameras were e.g. E620, L10, Pany G1, GH1 (and a Canon G10 P&S)

Kind of what conventional wisdom would dictate. Its the limited DR stupid!

However I've now run the same files, through LR4 using the 2012 conversion engine. Any differences in the 'good' cameras are very small and very subtle. However the 'bad' cameras are now producing highlight recovery results that are much more akin to the 'good' group. Its remarkable.

Maybe the 'good' cameras just had more real headroom (above metered middle grey) and less clipping than the 'bad' cameras, meaning that they didn't need more recovery than LR3 could handle.

Yup. I am pretty sure that's the story. If you'd compare different cameras at equal sensor saturation, I bet you'd find that they benefit to exactly the same degree from the transition from LR 3 to LR 4.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow