Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,030Gear list
Like?
Delighted with the X 14-42mm PZ
May 19, 2012

I agonised over whether to buy this lens for a while on the back of some of the user reports, although I have seen some very nice shots from it. I spotted one which had been unboxed from a GF3 kit on ebay at a decent price so I thought what the hell, if it doesn't work out I'll get rid of it. I was hoping that if it did it would replace my 14mm F2.5 and 14-45mm so I wouldn't even be out of pocket. As it's the size of the 20mm F1.7 this made perfect sense to me and would make my camera bag smaller and lighter. The 14-45mm with the lens hood reversed takes up more room than I want although I do think it's an excellent lens. I waited for it to arrive with some trepidation and it arrived whilst I was working away so I've had to wait a few days before I got home to try it. Added to that the dog nearly ate it but my wife managed to rescue it before he had fully penetrated the packaging!

What a nice surprise it has turned out to be. It looks great on my black EP-3 (pictures below), the power zoom is actually nice and smooth and almost silent and I can operate it nice and easily using the middle finger of my left hand whilst holding the camera to my eye.

The lens also autofocuses quickly and accurately, so far so good. So what about the blur issue? Well I've taken quite a number of test shots in the range of 1/60th to 1/200th second and this lens definitely doesn't exhibit any problems at any focal length - result!

It's very sharp at 14mm and pretty sharp at 42mm, definitely good enough. I was intrigued as to how it stacked up against the 14-45mm so I took some test shots of the same subjects at both ends of the range with both lenses. I'll be blowed if I can tell which lens took which shot, even at 100% magnification. Colour and contrast are exactly the same. For all intents and purposes, and to my eyes, they are identical. This was more than I'd hoped for and to say I am delighted is an understatement. This means I can sell the 14mm and 14-45mm and just use the one lens. I really think this lens is a cracker, the powerzoom is very nicely implemented and for me is actually more convenient than having to move my hand and twist the zoom manually. There obviously are some dodgy ones out there but if you get a decent one they are excellent IMHO. I'll try and get some proper shots done in the next week and post them but in the mean time here's how it looks on a back EP3, very nice I think.

-- hide signature --

It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow