Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ysal
Senior MemberPosts: 6,862
Like?
Praying Mantis Hatching
May 19, 2012

It's been quite a week of encounters with nature for me! And this actually isn't the end of it, but that is for a later thread. I found this praying mantis egg sack on my backyard fence back in December or so. I've been watching it since, knowing that it takes 5 to 6 months to develop. Earlier this week, I found the egg sack detached and laying on the ground. I assumed I missed the hatching, so I placed the egg sack on a wood fence. This morning, to my surprise, it started to hatch!!! The baby mantis are so tiny, it was really hard to photograph, but it was so interesting that I had to post these. I had to move the egg sack several times because predators like lizards and spiders kept coming over. These are all shot with LC55 or Raynox250, or both stacked.

First, the babies squeezed out of the egg sack through tiny slits. It took them 5 - 10 minutes to wiggle out, and they were very pale, almost white at first. Once outside, they laid quite still for another 10 minutes or so.

Then thy slowly started to change colors, more tan/brown, and wiggled until they could walk.

As soon as they could walk, they moved away very quickly to seek shelter. This continued for 3 to 4 hours, producing several hundred baby mantis!!

These newborns are about 0.25" (5mm) or so. It was really hard to focus on them with my camera!!!!!

This is not a very good shot, but I thought their faces were really cute - look at the little guy at lower right!

-- hide signature --

yuki

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
carizi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow