Nifty Fifty...50mm f1.8 II..by Ken Rockwell

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,213Gear list
Like?
Re: "sharp" at f1.8? Do you want it...
In reply to ultimitsu, May 19, 2012

The problem with these photos is not sharpness. Even if they were super tack sharp and the color and contrast were perfect, they would still be cute photos of cute kittens that we've all seen 1000 times before.

I'm much more interested in people showing me something unique, or at least a different point of view than something I've seen before. To me, this is far more important than technical details, and why I find photography interesting. You may have a different concept of what photography is about. Perhaps this is why we can't seem to agree on anything in this thread.

ultimitsu wrote:

skanter wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

I dont purport to be any good myself, but at the least I do examine the quality of my work in a "what can be improved" .

Do you think that if your photography could be "sharper" it would be better?

in many cases yes.

these shots were shot with 50 F1.8 at F1.8, I liek them but was disappointed by the sharpness at f1.8.

Perhaps you are too concerned with technical details, and not enough about basic creative elements.

there is no basis for you to make such speculation, and consideration for creative element is not mutually exclusive with technical proficiency.

On the contrary. I see a lot of people use "focus on creative element" as defense for their technical ignorance.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow