Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073
Like?
Re: AFS 85/1.4G Nano versus AFS 85/1.8G
In reply to argh69, May 19, 2012

argh69 wrote:

studio311 wrote:

I have both...and I'm selling the f1.4G. I rarely shoot at f1.4, usually prefer f2.

I compared the 1.8G to 1.4G at f2...and could not perceive any resolution difference.

Bokeh...maaaaaaybe the 1.4 was ever so slightly better. I'm talking pixel peeping here.

I am a "pro"...and there's no way I can justify keeping (or buying) the f1.4G.

Juned D Prasetyo wrote:

Does anyone have these 2 lenses and compare them? How do they performed in term of sharpness and contrast? Many say the 1.8G is sharper. Bult how about contrast? Do they have the same contrast?

I love my 85/1.4G but I dont thinkk I could justify the 1200 dolar price difference. Im not a pro so built quality is not my top rank concern.

they are both equal in resolution. you buy the 1.4g for the bokeh and additional 2/3 stop. thats what you pay for.

Well the Bokeh/DOF differnce between the two is going to be so subtle it won't matter for practical purposes and the 2/3 stop wont really matter given that today's cameras are producing usable images at ISO 3200-6400.

The only practical differnce is that the 1.4G has the nano crystal coating which can help to reduce flare. Whether that is worth more than double the price of the 1.8G is something you have to decide for yourself.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow