Did I get a Good Deal? Chose 60D over 7D.

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Here we go again....
In reply to ultimitsu, May 19, 2012

I looked at that article (for the first time) and did find it plausible. I also found it curious words like “suspect”, It seems”, “it seems to” and “inclined to question” ending with “A possible conclusion…” ran through the article

The crux of the article: cameras are capturing less light at wider f-stops due to the angle of the light hitting the micro lenses of the sensor. And, to compensate for lost light they “boost” the captured information using algorithms (similar to increasing ISO?) to offset the impact (but don't tell or admit it?).

So, if this is true, wouldn’t wider f-stops result in more noise if all else is equal, at least in some circumstances? Or, are the camera companies failing (refusing?) to provide the same extent and quality of noise reduction for higher ISOs.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, I am just skeptical of anything that has been presented without stronger affirmation of their findings (very carefully worded). Unless I can find corroborating information from another qualified source this cannot be taken as fact (yet). I am willing to admit I am wrong, but a single claim like this article won’t do the job.

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow