bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,181
Like?
Re: I don't think the D600 is for a D300 user upgrading
In reply to n057, May 18, 2012

n057 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

n057 wrote:

When I am already shooting at 200mm f/2.8 and 1/10th second on DX, I'd need 300mm f/2.8 on FX too.

For what? To get the same result you'd need f/4 at 1/10th on FX. Of course, that means in that case you'd be getting no advantage from FX, but you'd have to judge a system on its overall capability. An FX camera with a f/1.8 lens will do the same things as a DX with an f/1.2, and the f/1.8 is liable to be much smaller, cheaper and optically superior to the f/1.2.

I think you are talking DOF here. Me I am talking illumination level. f/2.8 at 1/10 th is what I will need to properly expose.

I'm talking amount of light received by the sensor, which determines the most part of the noise. Same scene, f/2.8 at 1/10 on DX will shine the same amount of light on the sensor as f/4 at 1/10 on FX, therefore the two will have the same noise. If your limitation on shutter speed is how much noise you are prepared to have, then f/2.8 on DX does the same job as f/4 on FX.

As it happens, the DOF is the same, as is the amount of diffraction blur. If you use same subject, Same position, same AOV lens, then the two pictures will be pretty much the same.
--
Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow