25mm vs 20mm for all round single prime shooting.

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,508Gear list
Like?
Re: Bokeh compared,a sample
In reply to Jonas B, May 18, 2012

Jonas B wrote:

Ouch, none of these lenses can be accused of very smooth rendering of background OOF stuff. In some of the images I like the 25/1.4 better, in some cases the 20/1.7 did better.

Yeah. Neither is all that great for bokeh. I am looking forward to getting the 45/1.8, and the 75/1.8 too if it turns out to deliver as it should (and won't cost a fortune). I guess that all Oly has to do for the 75/1.8 is to scale the design of the 45/1.8 a bit upwards. Shouldn't be too difficult, should it?

All in all I like the 25/1.4 better (and not only because I own it - I had both and made a choice) but looking at the samples makes me long for a FF camera and the Summilux-M 50/1.4 again. As I believe a FF LIVE camera will surface one of these days I've better start saving money right away...

It may be important to point out that I'm looking for the last 10-20% of IQ here. I can live happy with my 12/2, 225/!.4 and 45/1.8 for a long time, or at least nearly perfectly happy. They are all perfectly usable and capable lenses (and so are the ยต4/3 cameras).

Well, we don't have too much to complain about, do we, especially not with a body and a sensor like that of the E-M5 now available. Sure, an FF equivalent made to high standards should do it better still but ... And although the M-Summilux 50 is certainly a nice lens, I wouldn't really want to trade MFT for a Leica M9 system, all things considered, even if the cost were the same.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow