Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sik_photos
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
HELP! X100 has "spoiled" me to the EM-5
May 18, 2012

I suppose my post could go in DSLR forums, but owners of X100s may know what i mean.....

Ive owned an NEX-5N, appreciated its low light abilities, but hated its jepg colors (im slowing getting into PP). Hated it's ergonomics; the 5N is a great "value" but it feels like an electrical appliance rather than a real camera.

This led me to purchase both the X100 and EM-5. They arrived the same week. The EM-5 is a joy to operate as has been discussed: fast to shoot, wonderfully configurable. I love the articulating touchscreen for candid street shots. The feature where one touch of the screen chooses the focus point and triggers the shutter is genious. Even the EM-5's EVF is accepatble.

In spite of all this, Im sure the X100 will be the keeper. Really want to love the EM-5; giving it one last chance on a trip with a just-received Pani 20mm f1.7, which should improve sharpness over the kit 12-50mm, but im not hopeful that it will improve overall image quality to the extent that i see in X100 captures.

What i have realized from the EM-5 is that DSLR handling really does have its place, especially where people are moving and conditions changing. I believe i can live with a larger DSLR body/lens if it means image quality on par with the X100. Im even willing to step up to full frame, having a Nikon 50mm f1.4 and 28-200 on the shelf (though future camera need not be Nikon).

The one feature i was surprised to see lacking from high end cameras (X Pro as well as full frame DSLRs) is the articulated/touchscreen. Im guessing but it appears that this is considered by the industry an "amateur" feature.

So be it, but that feature is very valuable to me at this time. So, advice on getting a camera with this kind of screen yet with the potential system to provide X100 type image quality would be appreciated. If the EM-5 gets returned, I will still have the X100 and NEX to keep me shooting and can wait for anything rumoured to be forthcoming.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow