Quick rebuttal

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,294Gear list
Like?
I just bought the 24-120/4 G VR as normal zoom for my D800, and...
In reply to Logos007, May 18, 2012

...contrary to popular wisdom and some reviews, I find it's performance surprisingly good for the kinds of subject matter I'm inclined to use it for. Like the Canon 24-105/4L, the center is quite sharp at every focal length and apertures down to f/11. However, CA on my sample is better controlled than on any of the three samples of the Canon I owned (used on 5DII bodies). The Nikon also has less field curvature (or perhaps because it's not decentered), so corner performance in the middle focal length range is noticeably better. The Canon is more consistently sharp across the frame beyond 85mm. Build quality of the Nikon is a bit higher than the Canon. Overall, to my surprise, in terms of optical performance, these lenses from Canon and Nikon are pretty evenly matched.

Likewise, there isn't much optically between the Canon EF 17-40/4L and Nikon 16-35/4 G VR – they trade strengths and weaknesses pretty evenly except when it comes to build quality, where the Nikon wins. As it should for $500 more.

And, of course, Nikon doesn't yet have an answer to Canon's 70-200/4L II.

Logos007 wrote:

Just sold all my D7oo with all lenses for waiting and then upgrading, so i might be one of those rare photographers you mentioned.

Think i will buy the 5DMK3 because i mostly shoot handheld and cannot benefit of 36MP, will be better served with 22MP. And: the range of Canon-lenses seems to be better for me: 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 F4 IS. Nikon cannot deliver the same quality at this prize. The 24-120 of Nikon is much worse compared to the 24-105 of Canon.

And: Hate two things combined with the D800: the crumbled sky (reminds me on crop-sensors) and the greenish cast. Think, the Canon-colours are more pleasing.
--
http://www.whitewall.com/Logos

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow