How wide are these?

Started May 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 16,929Gear list
Like?
Re: DMC-G1 + LGV 100-300mm Analysis, Diagnosis, and Recommendation
In reply to assaft, May 18, 2012

assaft wrote:

That's some impressive shadow lifting. I wonder if LR4 can do any better in this particular case.

Yes, I was baffled when I saw how well it worked compared to my previous attempts to fiddle with the tone curve in Silkypix. Guess I will soon have to give this pic a new try just to see if LR 4 can do it still better than LR 3. Like you, I have a hard time imagining that it could improve the shadow rendering a whole lot. But I could imagine that its highlights slider will add a bit more punch and detail to the highlights.

The performance of RAW converters aside, this image is also a pretty nice example of the fact that even the old 12 MP Panasonic sensor has some DR left to play with. The image was shot with my G1 at ISO 100 (using the 7-14 at 7) and is somewhat cropped, primarily in order to correct some perspective distortion. Although the shadows are lifted close to three EV in this case, they still look pretty decent. I did add a bit of NR if I recall correctly, but not a whole lot and the noise wasn't too bad even before I did.

Regarding highlights recovery, I posted an example yesterday night in another thread, and I thought it might be relevant here as well. I looked at how LR4 handles highlight clipping in comparison to Oly Viewer 2. I opened the same RAW file, taken with an E-PL2, in both converters and switched to the highlights/clipping view. In LR4, I opened it with Process Versions (prv) 2012, 2010 and 2003. The output of 2010 and 2003 was the same so I didn't include 2003 here. This is what I got:

It's clear that PRV 2012 is doing a better job than PRV 2010/Oly Viewer 2. I'm not sure PRV 2010/OV2 attempt to recover any highlights at all.

Yes. Nice demonstration.

It seems like PRV 2012 recovers the clipping in the green channel by interpolating data from the red and blue channels. Quite nice and useful. I don't know what are the side effects of this (maybe it's visible only in prints) and whether it is a useful strategy when two channels are clipped or when another channel is clipped (e.g the red one).

Yes, the fact that it interpolates, or rather extrapolates, to make up for missing data is interesting and obviously the reason why it can do so well even when the RAW data are actually clipped.

These new highlights recovery capabilities make the blinkies mode on the Oly cameras somewhat less reliable. I bracket by 0.3 EV to have more choices when I develop.

Yes, I see what you mean and the thought has already occurred to me that I might have to change my exposure strategy a bit. In an image like the one you experimented with, my previous strategy has always been not to allow the highlights in the sky to clip at all since I was sure they wouldn't really be recoverable. But with LR 4, I might at times be better off allowing a bit of clipping and enjoy better shadows in return. Like you, I guess I will have to bracket a bit more than I used to and see how it works out.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow