Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: Working on these more
In reply to tgutgu, May 18, 2012

tgutgu wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Tomas,

Am I missing something? the Oly primes amount to 1 x 45mm f1.8, apart from that what exactly has Oly released of notable optics? the 12mm is nice but wow that is expensive and I think the new wa converter on the end of my 14mm will probably equal it.

The appeal of the 2.0/12mm is certainly bigger than the appeal of a 14mm pancake with a wa converter. Plus the converters really did not hit the market yet. Has anybody read any enthusiastic reports of a converter combined with a Panasonic lens? The 2.0/12mm with its unique finish and construction, transports another feeling than the rather sluggishly build Panasonic lenses, with an ordinary appearance. The 12mm is in most likelihood a better seller than the 2.5/14mm with the latter only repeating a focal length available in some zooms. The 2.0/12mm design had more impact on the mirrorless market than the 14mm, which received not a lot of praise, except for its (too much) smallness. The 12mm is about in the price range of the PL 1.4/25mm, so what?

The problem is not only the amount of products, but how they are received. The reception of the X-lenses were in the end totally negative, because they did not deliver, what Panasonic promised: a new landmark lens lineup, comparable to the high-grade lens lines of the DSLR vendors (like Canon L glass). This will shed its light on the fast X-zooms as well. In contrast almost every new Olympus product within the last year was received with great applause and excellent reviews as a follow-up. The Panasonic fast zooms, already pre-announced more about a year ago (maybe a bit less), are still vapor-ware. Specs aren't clear yet (2.0 or 2.8, constant apperture, weather-sealed, price range), so the buyers don't know what to plan on. Now, the 12-35mm is supposed to be available in June? with the past record of delivery and announcements, who will really count on that? Instead, people spend their 2012 budget on OM-D and Olympus lenses, which are real products.

OK, we'll see but a 45mm and an OMD are hardly earth shattering releases either in the last 4+ years?

The pz's may not be the best ever but they are effective and dont appeal to me as I already have the 14-140, but I think for many are a good choice. I am not overly interested in a single Oly lens to be fair apart from the 45mm 1.8, but even then c/w the pl2.8 I think the iq of the pl is superior and its macro.
I am struggling to think of a good oly lens for m43 except for the 45 and 12?

tgutgu wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Tomas,

Within months we will have
12-35 f2.8.
35-100 f2.8

Both with a magical word OIS? I think the 70-200f2.8 lens will be on my camera an awful lot and I hope Pana add a proper 1.5 converter too to give us a 300f4?

The point is that there were no major Panasonic product releases of real interest (for the EM-5/GH2 target group), except the PL 1.4/25mm, within more than a year, which inevitably leads people to buy more Olympus products. Even the announced Olympus primes seem to be more real than the Panasonic fast zooms. This together with the release of a body like the EM-5 and Panasonic without anything to counter, can shift market share considerably (within the target group)

The GH2 is upto anything you can throw at it apart from continuous burst, but even then using half shutter release and not going crazy can yield good images in fast situations and the 5fps is faster than OMD, although for shorter period because it is with af?

Add to this excellent IBIS with stabilized VF, exposure control via marking of shadows and highlights, WYSIWIG VF, better haptics.

There is no doubt that the GH2 is an excellent camera (second place currently of all mirrorless, only topped by the EM-5), but the EM-5 is simply more fun to use. And photography is mostly about fun.

The problem is that at the moment , Olympus has the more attractive product line due to its new and upcoming prime lenses. I know that there are the new fast X-zooms coming. However, the X-line of Panasonic lenses now has a very bad reputation, due to the sharpness problems related to PowerOIS. At least in Germany the trust to this kind of lenses is very low so that people will could be very reluctant to buy new lenses, having the same technology. It is possibly comparable to the Toyota brakes desaster, though on a much smaller scale. Positive reviews and reports about the current X-lenses are scarce. This is completely different to the enthusiasm the Olympus lenses receive. The only exception for Panasonic is the PL 1.4/25mm, but there are the "rattlesnake" threads about it (the lens is definitely louder than any Olympus prime).

Also, I am not about to give up 15mp 3:2 ratio and 14mp 16:9 ratio and the awesome video of the GH2 anytime soon.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow