another open letter to Sigma

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 19,519Gear list
Like?
Re: Not an in particular good idea IMHO
In reply to mike earussi, May 18, 2012

mike earussi wrote:

Foveon has never stood a chance against the Bayer competition as far as high iso and total mp count, and it should quit trying to be what it's not and focus instead on what it is, a unique design and look better than Bayer if implemented correctly . The SD9 still produces the most beautiful digital I've ever seen and if Sigma would just focus on that look, their camera business would gradually grow by word of mouth. But to compete directly with Bayer is a waste of time.

We can discuss this forever

I see your point now. Sure, there is a place for a tool that gives a unique look. And you have a point that a 12 MP camera that gives a unique look might have some kind of niche.

But SD9, as far as I understand, is one of the most difficult cameras to use. The images you talk about does not happen all the time.

So - if Sigma have the muscles, they could make two cameras.

1. A 12 MP SD9 FF clone with funky colors and super aliasing

2. and a 36 or 48 MP camera that tries to be a neutral all around camera.

I doubt it that the SD9 lookalike thing is going to make all that much money for Sigma though. But if they rather make cool stuff than generally useful cameras, then they might follow your advice.

My main point is that 1 and 2 might be possible to combine. Make a 48 or 36 MP FF camera and use 4x binning to downscale to 12 or 9 MP, and then have a funky color mode to get SD9 lookalike images.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
nopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow