for the folks that have both the D700 & D800........

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Number 6
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Re: for the folks that have both the D700 & D800........
In reply to MoltenP, May 18, 2012

MoltenP wrote:

Both cameras may move the exact same amount but the increased resolution is more likely to show any movement of the camera while taking the picture.

You could have just as accurately have said, "The camera with the lower resolution sensor is more likely to blur the picture enough that softening due to camera shake, lens aberrations, diffraction and/or slight focusing errors are totally 'fuzzed over' by the lower resolution sensor's inability to deliver truly sharp results."

A picture is NEVER improved by the limitations of a lower resolution sensor. With a lower resolution sensor, Gaussian blur is effectively applied to every single portion of every single picture I take, whether I want everything softened or not. If one ever decides that softer is better, one can accomplished a higher quality softening in PP because one has fine control over the amount and location of softening added and because it's being done controllably by sophisticated algorithms instead of crudely by a fixed resolution Bayer matrix under an AA filter.

Ideally, I own camera(s) and lenses where ALL shortcomings of the image are due to my own limitations. I don't want lens softness hiding anything. I don't want limited sensor resolution hiding anything. I am then freed to pay as much or as little attention to the quality of my effort as the project requires. (Ex: Heavy tripod, mirror lockup, remote release and thoughtful attention to focus and f-stop for a product photo; mindfulness only of content for daytime photos of my kids that will never be printed larger than 4x6.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow