If you could only have one: omd em5 or 12-35 2.8 lens

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
gteague
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?
Re: If you could only have one: omd em5 or 12-35 2.8 lens
In reply to DonSantos, May 18, 2012

a very germane question for some and exactly apropos to my current situation.

i have a gx1 which is practically new and a few lenses for it. my plan was to carry the gx1 with the 20/1.7 & the oly 9-18 to cover low light and ultra-wide to wide without needing any stabilization.

but i also got the oly 12/2.0 with the idea of getting the em5 and the 45/1.8 (or perhaps the new 60 or 75) so i could have a stabilized body for tele work.

but if the new rumored panasonic lenses are compact and have stabilization and the 35-150mm comes in at under f4 at the long end (it's hard to believe a 300/2.8 equivalent would be less than $1500-2000 based on nikon ff pricing), then it would be a hard choice to spend my money on a 2nd body when i could have one body and 4 lenses:

9-18/4
20/1.7
12-35/2.8
35-150/2.8

which would cover everything but macro and at good speeds to boot, but considering if i could get both new panasonic lenses at the same price as the em5 with grip, around $1300.

it's always very nice to have two bodies (much more so back in the film days, of course), but those lenses would make for a very flexible system indeed. and if the quality of the 12-35/2.8 is effectively the same or better than the oly 12/2 then i could recoup a good chunk of change by selling it considering it was nearly as expensive as the em5 body itself.

-- hide signature --

/ guy

The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks! ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
easyNew
EM-5New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow