Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
twoeggmedia
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
concerns with switching to Sony DSLR
May 18, 2012

I'm a long time Sigma DSLR user. My paid work consists 80% of portrait photography and 20% commercial. A Sigma 17-50 2.8 and 50 1.4 take care of pretty much all my professional needs. I borrow a macro and 200 2.8 lens on occasion. I have a NEX-7 and Leica and Mamiya/Sekor lenses for personal use.

I am considering an A77 but have a few concerns, almost all related to the SLT system, and corresponding theories I would appreciate feedback on before I spend $2-3k.

1. According to reviews I have read, images take a slight sharpness hit due to the SLT. You are working with 24mp. So, wouldn't the image still be more detailed/sharper than say a 16mp Nikon? (If you've ever shot with a Foveon sensor like I have for years you get hung up on amazing sharpness.)

2. Images take an noise hit due to a 1/3 stop light loss, again the SLT. Using say, the Sony 50 1.4 and the 16-50 2.8 lens stopped up would more than compensate for that also...? I guess you would gain under bright conditions (a free ND filter) and lose a little in low light.

3. Doesn't seem like cleaning of the SLT is an easy prospect. Seems like a long term problem.

I really want to like the Sony but these concerns are keeping me from going through with it.

twoeggmedia's gear list:twoeggmedia's gear list
Sigma DP1s Pentax K-5 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow