Why have Canon never replaced 480EG flash.

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Oztom
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
Why have Canon never replaced 480EG flash.
May 18, 2012

I have always wondered why Canon have not made another side mounted flash like the 480EG.

I used Metz 45 and 60 series flashes for many years when photographing weddings with my Nikon FE2 and FM2s and was always amazed by their quality of light and reliability..

When I changed to Canon EOS in the late eighties I continued to use the Metz system when the 480EG was released because of my familiarity with Metz and the large investment in accessories I had already made.

The 480 was also a little disappointing and I thought I would wait for a second version but it never came.

When digital overtook film and ETTL2 came around I thought for sure they would release one for the Wedding, portrait and papparazi markets.

I am also wondering why none of the new top mounted flashes come with a second smaller flash head for filling in shadows when bouncing. This use to be popular with other brands but has never been introduced with Canon. The old business card attached to the head seems to be a cheap solution but doesnt give enough flexibility.

Anybody out there who knows Canons thinking on these issues and do you think they would be popular with modern day photographers.

Oztom's gear list:Oztom's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow