To birders: What camera do you use?

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Personal choices!
In reply to JerryCanon10D, May 18, 2012

JerryCanon10D wrote:

Agreed. Good field craft is often worth a 2x extender! But I haven't met any bird photographers who complain about getting too close so extra mm is always a plus.

My friend, I agree with you on just about everything and really even on this but thought I'd mention it for the heck of it. I "get too close" a lot of the time and often have to move to wider glass shooting birds. In fact, I often have to be careful to stay back away from nests so as not to be harmful to the nesting bird and her chicks.

Also, as I mention, there are times when I'm feeding certain birds where they have gained the trust of humans as in gulls and pelicans as well as Wood Storks in certain places. My 85 f/1.4 has been too long sometimes.

There are so many birds on the planet and many though wild are tame to humans. If you're not aggressive and use good field craft, you can get within a meter or so. I've stalked white tailed deer within meters on many occasion.

Here's my cousin from Guernsey, Paul Veron, of http://www.paulveron.com/ who's spend a lifetime in the study of birds is shown here on a beach full of Penguins. My cousin has crazy good field technique. I'm nowhere near as good, but it is a thing we pride ourselves on in the family.

Paul has since resumed his studies of the Vale Marais on the Island of Guensey, UK.

Oh, and I really enjoyed your gallery. Very nice work, Jerry.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow