Hi guys! Canon Video question for all of y'all!

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
MI6gunny
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?
Re: Hi guys! Canon Video question for all of y'all!
In reply to harrygilbert, May 17, 2012

Thank you it does, I have been having issues at almost all steps, some of them problem solved though. I will take your advice however. I was just wanting to streamline the workflow and possibly make it easier to make batches of dvds

harrygilbert wrote:

You mention not being able to "pull good video" from your DSLR, but don't explain exactly why you do not consider it "good". There are a number of elements that are essential to "good" video production. I use my 1D4 to make training videos. Here are some points to consider:

1. Adequate and even lighting (don't mix sources, such as tungsten and fluorescent)

2. Camera on a tripod. If you need to move, make a series of clips, moving the camera between clips. If you must follow a moving subject, you need a fluid head and possibly a follow-focus attachment. If you must traverse the camera while recording, do it slowly.

3. Don't shoot wide open, use a smaller aperture to get enough DOF so subject movement does not cause loss of focus

4. Control extraneous noises, and if possible, use an external microphone. This is especially important to avoid pickup of IS noise.

5. Shoot more than you think you'll need; it's easy to cut extra, and not so easy to add after the "set" is broken down and the actors dispersed.

As far as PP, I use either Sony Vegas or Techsmith Camtasia to assemble the clips into a final product. I usually separate the audio from the video, and process that separately to even sound levels between clips and remove extraneous sounds. Use of a Hollywood-style "clapper" at the start of each clip helps synchronize the audio and video after audio refinement. Both of the software products I mentioned allow selection of appropriate codecs and output formats, which are determined by the distribution method and media (web vs. DVD vs. computer kiosk display).

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

D. Fortune

MI6gunny's gear list:MI6gunny's gear list
Nikon D5000 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow