Aki-Asahi camera covers for the OM-D EM-5 who got one?

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234Gear list
Like?
Re: Aki-Asahi camera covers for the OM-D EM-5 who got one?
In reply to Activatedfx, May 17, 2012

Activatedfx wrote:

That said, 1st of all, if you look closely at the images, the edges of the covers don't look that great... like it'll peel off if you catch the edge with a fingertip. The darker colors hide the imperfections better, but still looks pretty delicate and easy to damage.

I had a set for my E-PL2. Never had a problem with peeling in the six months I used it before I sold the camera.

2nd of all, watch the installation video. On the OM-D, you have to PRY OFF the existing skin with a screwdriver! Huge chance to scratch the paint here! The brass base plates have to be formed VERY carefully (they are not pre-formed), and it will be very hard to get that thin brass absolutely perfect. The brass base plate has to be glued onto the camera body - pretty permanently! And THEN you have to glue the skin onto the brass base plates. Quite a job!

Installation would be a PITA. It's easy for the PENs when you have nothing to remove before installing the leather pieces. Having to remove the stock gripes would give me some pause.

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow