Like?
Re: To birders: What camera do you use?
In reply to TITCHY, May 17, 2012

TITCHY wrote:

exactly what point are you getting at

birds in the US are generally more confiding

but dont give us some rediculous drivel about uk bird being somehow traumatized

thanks for the constructive comment

the heron was in some pools ,in the hills looking for frogs , did he look traumatized

the point is that, for instance, herons are much twitchier here than in the US. Your photo demonstrates that you fondl it difficult to get either very close or to get the bird in a reasonable setting

last summer I was resting in a field watching some skylarks ,they were climbing and swooping in thier usual way ,I was astonished when one landed about 6 feet away and hopped into a nearby bush to feed his chicks .

well if you are that near its nest the bird has no choice. Incidentally, if you take a photo of many of our birds at their nests you are breaking the law in the UK

truamatized (I dont think so)

"traumatised" is a figure of speech, it's about "race memory". UK/European birds are less confiding

I am the first to admit we dont have the most colourful birds here

fledglings, like the great tit and blackbird in your photos, are generally less wary than adults but you only got what would be described as "record" shots, making my point

You seem to have taken my comments very personally. It's about the birds not your technique ...

,and if photographers spent a bit more time researching ,and spending time getting familiar with the birds they want to photograph ,maybe they would get better results ,instead of simply buying lenses like bazzookas ,and stacking TCs ,and then complaining because the birds are skittish .
What? So field craft precludes the use of an extender?

I learnt years ago that if you walk around fields etc, minding your own business ,the birds will not see you as a threat ,and often go about thier business ,allowing for some great captures

Really? Your gallery is almost exclusively of garden birds. The smew look highly cropped and seem to be swimming away quite quickly. Please post some other "wild" birds to make your point. Anything decent, outside your garden, would be interesting.

No traumatized birds in my neck of the woods and thats a fact.

The welsh valleys have redstart and wood warbler, don't they? Post a couple of photos of "woodland" birds to illustrate your point. Thanks

JerryCanon10D's gear list:JerryCanon10D's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow