n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
Re: true, but Nikon did it before with DX, down size top DX camera
In reply to bobn2, May 17, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

And now back to 3
D7100, D5200, D3200

And they need to go back to 3 to leave room for another FX. You cannot expect that camera to generate all new sales, it has to take them from somewhere, and if it occupies the D300 price point, that is where it will take them from.

I suspect it is the issue with general specification inflation, as the lower models get better, driven by competition. I would expect that Nikon will make the D7100 good enough to satisfy the D300 potential buyers who don't find what they want in the D600. There is no reason not to, since there won't be a DX model above for it to cannibalize.

Except for the D3200, which came out of the blue, all this is still speculation. Until Nikon announces their intention, my target for the replacement of the D300 is still the "D400" and whatever they announce better meet the expected specs, not just "good enough". Just as the D300 was a DX version of the D3 (which in turn begat the D700), I expect the D400 (or whatever Nikon decides to call it) to be a DX version of the D4. If it happens to be more expensive than the entry level FX, so be it.

Oh, and CF cards, pretty please?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow