D800 On Order - Is it really that much better??

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 On Order - Is it really that much better??
In reply to slicksterx, May 17, 2012

slicksterx wrote:

One question I did have was around the file sizes. Shooting at 36Mp obviously results in large file sizes, however you can chose to save in different resolution raw images. Would this result in any loss to image quality?

If you can pay for the D800 go for it. If your side job pays for what you paid for the D800 :), then it is all the more fun. However, good glass will make your images look better and try working/saving towards that.

As for image sizes, Nikon gives you 6 Raw options -
14 Bit Uncompressed
14 Bit Lossless Compressed
14 Bit Compressed (it is lossy)

and then 12 Bits with the same three. The largest file is the 14B Uncomp. while the smallest will be 12B Lossy Compressed. Don't let the lossy word scare you. I haven't seen too many examples where the lossy made an image unusable or really took off too much from an image. The 14 bit color does give you more tonality than 12 bit and for some cases you maybe able to notice that, but you will have to look darn hard for it. For regular shooting, I think the 12Bit compressed would work fine.

You still will have 36MP images, no matter which Raw option you chose, because they are really really Raw and not some pseudo Raw.

Hope this helps.

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow