ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Christian_R
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Lumix touch AF bug/settings/procedure
May 17, 2012

Hello,

A longtime Olympus user, I'm starting an affair with Panasonic: I just received my Lumix GX1. My first impression is that the documentation is even more confusing and patchy than Olympus'. That's why I would appreciate your comments about "touch AF". Trying to wrap my head around it, here's what I noticed:

1. SOMETIMES TOUCH AF STOPS WORKING. The '1-area' moves to the new location, but the camera doesn't refocus. I can only think this happens when the overall light level is low, even if the spot I touch has high contrast... Maybe only after 'waking up' the camera... can anybody confirm?

2. Missing in the manual: touch AF requires 'AF Shutter' in the 'Custom' menu to be off, otherwise the camera focuses again when we press the shutter. Do I understand this correctly? this turns the shutter button half-press into an AE lock, freeing the AF/AE Lock button for another use.

3. Touch AF with 'Pinpoint' is slow and clumsy. After the first touch, one must drag the enlarged image 'behind' the focus point to fine-tune AF. Without a tripod, the slightest shake makes it hard, and more so since the touchscreen requires a firm press and the response is lagging (maybe I'm spoiled by my Samsung Galaxy S phone). The alternative is to use the cursor buttons, but that's slow. Why not a second touch?

4. 'Direct Focus Area' means 'Pre-Touch-Era-Procedure', and the explanation about using it along with 'Pinpoint' (bottom of P.96) is so badly phrased that I feel compelled to rewrite here what I just finally understood: 'With [+], you can move the POSITION OF THE ENLARGED AREA BEFORE IT IS ENLARGED'.

I paid approximately USD 1000 for the body and a 1.7 20mm, and for that sum, I find it really unacceptable to get such a badly written, edited, proofread, and laid out piece of trash documentation, however great the product.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow