Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TomFL
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Extensive auto-focus guide from Canon
May 17, 2012

Although this doesn't apply directly for the 7D, most of the concepts are the same.

http://downloads.canon.com/CDLC/EOS_1DX_AF_Guide_CDLC.pdf

Worth reading no matter which Canon you own.

I have been quite critical of the Canon 7D AF system in the past, and I think this type of guide is helpful in explaining the designers intention for how it is to be used and importantly shows specific examples of when each mode is most appropriate.

This guide contains nice tidbits such as single point spot auto-focus is useful for when taking a picture of someone with a hat with a large brim on, it allows focus on the eye without getting a false focus lock on the brim of the hat.

Of course if it takes you 48 pages to describe how your focus system works...then it might be a sign it is a bit complex to use IMO.

AF is non-trivial engineering problem to solve, with heuristical algorithms (i.e. best guess) necessary in many situations. similar in many aspects to auto white balance (is it yellow light on white paper, or white light on yellow paper?).

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow