Future of crop-sensors

Started May 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
mgatov
Contributing MemberPosts: 936Gear list
Like?
Re: yes, a news item could reopen a discussion
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, May 17, 2012

Your point about a 2mpx image is well taken. However, it is more than just the number but the quality and the interpretation of the pixels. I still have images from my old Sony F505 and an even older Minolta. There is no comparison to modern cameras.

For me, there are two 'givens' that impact the future of FX vs DX: the improvement of technology and the existing base of legacy lenses. I believe that FX bodies will shrink and open up the usage for the wealth of legacy lenses people have in their closets. The wealth of DX lenses are sometimes fixed to obsolete mount designs. The rumor mill says Nikon is coming out with the D600 this year that will be sub $2000. If Sony were to offer a FX body that is considerably smaller than an SLR body, and it allowed people to use their mothballed lenses... why wouldn't it sell well? There is a mountain of FX glass out there that isn't used because of the current expense of the bodies. My feeling is that once FX becomes lower priced, and the bodies become smaller, DX lenses become an answer to a problem that no longer exists.

mgatov's gear list:mgatov's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow